Irrcaches that only affect the group/component they're in

Features you'd like to see in future versions, gripes, ideas..
Ecuadorian

Irrcaches that only affect the group/component they're in

Post by Ecuadorian » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:53 pm

And let the rest of the scene simply use the skybox...

This could be useful if you have a couple of mirrors, each with its own irrcache, but you don't want the floor reflections to become split between these irrcaches.

AdamB
Site Admin

Re: Irrcaches that only affect the group/component they're i

Post by AdamB » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:38 pm

Yep, Excellent suggestion.
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

Pixero

Post by Pixero » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:22 am

If we get that ability I think it would also be great to be able to set the size of the reflection cubemap. For example set it very low to simulate blurry reflection on metal and such.

Ecuadorian

Post by Ecuadorian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm not sure that setting a reflection map to a lower size might help simulate metallic reflections. Instead, the reflection map must be blurred for that. With a small reflection map all you get is ugly aliasing in reflections.

bentleykf

Post by bentleykf » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:01 am

Ecuadorian wrote:This could be useful if you have a couple of mirrors, each with its own irrcache, but you don't want the floor reflections to become split between these irrcaches.
+1 for this
Pixero wrote:If we get that ability I think it would also be great to be able to set the size of the reflection cubemap. For example set it very low to simulate blurry reflection on metal and such.
and +1 for this too. It would be handy to set the resolution of the irrCache to something high for a flat, smooth mirror. For surfaces that are very bumpy or diffuse a high resolution irrCache isn't really required as the bump map does a good job of 'blurring' the irrCache. Also some blurring effects would be cool, like a radial blur for some diffuse metal that can't be easily replicated by a bump map, and also a directional blur for some finely curved surfaces?