Embed Player in Web Page?

Features you'd like to see in future versions, gripes, ideas..
madblackeye

Embed Player in Web Page?

Post by madblackeye » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:19 am

Hi Adam,

I assume that currently it is not possible to 'embed' the player in to a web page, as you don't seem to have done it :)

Is this something for the future or will it prove to be too huge a project?

Adam

AdamB
Site Admin

Re: Embed Player in Web Page?

Post by AdamB » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:39 pm

Technically doable but its a chunk of engineering that ultimately, for the user, still requires them to download a Browser plugin and install it, so downloading a standalone LUPlayer App and installing is a bit of a wash. In that either path is pretty much the same barrier.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

madblackeye

Post by madblackeye » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Thanks for your quick response.

I know that it's pretty much the same download process but I don't think the user views it the same. I mean in this age of browsers, the user perceives that a plugin in the browser is not a separate piece of software, it's just something that enhances their browsing experience, whereas actually downloading and manually installing a new 'program' and then making it work is completely new and an extra thing to learn (god forbid).

Also with the threat of viruses a separate app alerts the user to things like 'payloads' and 'Trojan horses' more so than a plugin to their trusted browser.

Please understand I am not asking you to do anything, just pointing out that it will be more difficult for a designer with a dispersed client base to persuade said clients to do anything 'over and above' just to be remotely pitched to.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards
Adam
(PS Loving the software, thanks)

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:41 pm

LightUp Browser Plugin for Safari is done. You can create webpages with an <embed type="application/x-lightup" src="http://..." > tag to have realtime navigation through your luca files.

It will be released as part of LightUp v2.0
SafariScreenSnapz026.jpg
SafariScreenSnapz026.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 7039 times
The browser plugin is built on the same codebase of LightUp Player which in turn is built on the same engine as LightUp, so controls and visuals are all identical.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

Pixero

Post by Pixero » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:10 am

Great news.

eyal

Post by eyal » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:43 pm

I totally agree with madblackeye , users will install a browser-plugin without thinking,
but will be afraid to install a small software. some of them cannot install software because they do not have Admin rights.

plus - embedding LUCA files in HTML will enable us to create better presentations for our clients.

will you make IE and FF plugins?

(if you do - i think you can skip the automatic help-screen, and let us write instructions under the model window. will look better that way IMHO)

eyal

Post by eyal » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:47 pm

will an HTML embedded player be able to work inside a PowerPoint presentation?
or will PPT need a plugin?

eyal

Post by eyal » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 pm

AdamB wrote:LightUp Browser Plugin for Safari is done. You can create webpages with an <embed type="application/x-lightup" src="http://..." > tag to have realtime navigation through your luca files.

It will be released as part of LightUp v2.0....

Adam

where can we get the plugin?
will it work on Safari for Windows too?