General Lightup Questions

Explanations, Walk through, tips and techniques related to LightUp
danstrohl

General Lightup Questions

Post by danstrohl » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:11 am

I just downloaded and installed LightUp demo, and so far it seems to be working ok. I do have some general questions though, mainly to fill in my own understanding of how things work.

What happens with the Layers LU, LU_ircache, and LU_lights... I sort of assume that emitters end up on LU_lights, the _ircache is for the cache that the getting started talks about, but what about LU?

Do items NEED to be on these specific layers to work or can I create my own layers and add them?

If I put items on my own layers, then hide/show the layers in scenes, does the lighting play along? (it sort if seems like it is saying that int he geting started, but I haven't tried it yet.

If I save a light fixture as a component, does the lighting info save as well? Is there a "repository" of Light-UP light fixtures hanging out there somewhere?

Thanks!

Dan Strohl

AdamB
Site Admin

Re: General Lightup Questions

Post by AdamB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:40 am

Hi Dan and welcome,
danstrohl wrote:I just downloaded and installed LightUp demo, and so far it seems to be working ok. I do have some general questions though, mainly to fill in my own understanding of how things work.

What happens with the Layers LU, LU_ircache, and LU_lights... I sort of assume that emitters end up on LU_lights, the _ircache is for the cache that the getting started talks about, but what about LU?
Yes, LightUp places PointLightSource components in a layer called LU_lights etc purely as a convenience for managing your model.
The "LU" layer is used by Tourtool. In Tourtool mode, all other layers are hidden and the LU layer is made visible. It is expected to be empty as its simply a mechanism by which LightUp can hide SketchUp rendering.

danstrohl wrote:Do items NEED to be on these specific layers to work or can I create my own layers and add them?

If I put items on my own layers, then hide/show the layers in scenes, does the lighting play along? (it sort if seems like it is saying that int he geting started, but I haven't tried it yet.
Yes, you can use put geometry in any Layer you like. And yes, LightUp honors hidden layer status when processing your Scene; you can use Layers & Scenes to enable/disable different lighting setups to experiment with 'what if' scenerios.
NB If you want your light sources to be hidden AND still effect the lighting, you'll need to check "Use Hidden Lights" in LightUp Preferences.

danstrohl wrote:If I save a light fixture as a component, does the lighting info save as well? Is there a "repository" of Light-UP light fixtures hanging out there somewhere?
LightUp stores your light settings inside the SketchUp component representing the light source. LightUp automatically adds a "PointLightSource" component to your model that can be used to place lights with the Query Tool or simply dragging a Component into your model.

However, you can use ANY component you like as a light source by naming the Component Definition beginning with "PointLightSource". eg "PointLightSource_customluminaire"

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk