Compressing LightUp Video

Explanations, Walk through, tips and techniques related to LightUp
AdamB
Site Admin

Compressing LightUp Video

Post by AdamB » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:27 pm

LightUp outputs uncompressed Still and Movies so that no quality is lost until you specifically choose to drop quality.

However, the AVI files produced by LightUp are very large and generally need to be compressed before sharing with others. For this task, we use the excellent MPEG Streamclip Available for Windows and Macintosh here: http://www.squared5.com/ .

The workflow is:
  • - Open MPEG Streamclip
    - Load the LightUp AVI
    - Choose File->Export to MPEG-4
    - Quality Slider to 100%
    - Press "Make MP4" button
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

eyal

Re: Compressing LightUp Video

Post by eyal » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:08 pm

that's a powerful little tool :-)

thanks for the link.

mallen

Post by mallen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi,
When I set up my sketchup file to record a movie ,I press movie to start recording then I press enter (pc) to stop recording but it doesn't stop. It will stop when I push the movie button, but then the avi file it produces is broken down into several smaller avi files. I have 8 scenes with 5 seconds per scene through animation settings in a 29.1 MB file . Am I doing something wrong, or is this the way the program works.
Thanks,
mallen

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:26 am

mallen wrote:Hi,
When I set up my sketchup file to record a movie ,I press movie to start recording then I press enter (pc) to stop recording but it doesn't stop.
Check the SketchUp window has "keyboard focus". Typically this means the Sketchup window is on top.
mallen wrote:It will stop when I push the movie button, but then the avi file it produces is broken down into several smaller avi files. I have 8 scenes with 5 seconds per scene through animation settings in a 29.1 MB file . Am I doing something wrong, or is this the way the program works.
Thanks,
mallen
LightUp currently saves your Movie files in uncompressed, full quality format - so a full RGB image, 30 times per second. This does mean the AVI files are enormous and the intent is you use another App to compress to a format of your choice. LUP splits the avi file into chunks of around 1GB - so it is expected behavior to see multiple files.

An alternative is to set LUP to save a sequence of images into a folder and use QT or another to assemble the video file.
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

mallen

Post by mallen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Streamclip works well and spliced together my first 1080p HD animation with LUP .

thanks for the help!