IES files with non point lights. Eg downlighting bollard

Explanations, Walk through, tips and techniques related to LightUp
will.p@virgin.net

IES files with non point lights. Eg downlighting bollard

Post by will.p@virgin.net » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:47 pm

First off I'm sorry if this has been answered/discussed elsewhere or if I appear to not know what I'm talking about at times! I've had a good search around the forums but as yet no joy.

Here's my problem. I wish to produce a render (direct source I presume) of a car park with bollard lights that are designed to wash light down onto the floor in one direction. The purpose of this is to provide data for a planning application, so it needs to be accurate and not just a fancy graphic. I've already read the fantastic tutorial by bentleykf on lux contours (viewtopic.php?t=374).
The light I'm using for my example is this: http://www.erco.com/products/outdoor/bo ... rom_600-lm
I can download a model of the light into my sketchup scene (either 3ds or DXF). I can also download the ies file and put a light source into the model, place it on the model of the light in about the right position, and assign the ies file to it. But, my question is how can I get the light I've imported to behave in the correct way? I hope I'm missing something obvious here. Any help would be very gratefully received! One slight hint at what I perhaps should be doing is this: When I hover over the light and hold control I can "aim" it. I note that the ies file I have used only casts light across an area which does appear to have taken into account the physical characteristics of the light. By that I mean it only casts light in a limited area as one would expect from a down-lighting bollard, but not as I would expect. When I hit "go" it casts light more in front than on the ground below. Maybe I just need to re-aim the light manually until it lights the ground more. But this seems rather slap-dash and not at all accurate.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light (excuse the pun) on this matter.

Will
Last edited by will.p@virgin.net on Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

will.p@virgin.net

Re: IES files with non point lights. Eg washlighting bollard

Post by will.p@virgin.net » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:59 pm

It seems I've now had a little success, and that the ies file does load shining in the right orientation. For some reason the first time i tried it didn't but oh well. Probably something I pressed. I still can't imagine I'm getting this quite right though. A screenshot is attached to show my model and the light source and how I've arranged them. It all seems a bit too basic really!
Attachments
rendered.jpg
rendered.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
not rendered.jpg
not rendered.jpg (73.05 KiB) Viewed 4715 times