Back Face Culling

Explanations, Walk through, tips and techniques related to LightUp
griffith

Back Face Culling

Post by griffith » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:19 pm

Adam,

I tried looking in other threads but I couldn't find any info, I'm trying to improve max efficiency on my models making them portable for light-up ipad app, I'm using single side faces for light-up I've been looking around the forum and I see that back face culling is the answer for "ok I want this only to be two sided" but when applying back face culling to certain entities, nothing happens. Is there a rule to why it is not applying the changes? If you can see the attachment the exterior window glass and the door are ok, but if you see it from the rear view only the window is using the back face culling but the door isn´t. I've tried ungrouping, applying only to window, exploding nested groups (door handle) but nothing seems to work. Comments and Suggestions will be appreciated.

Many thanks
Attachments
Sin título-1.jpg
Sin título-1.jpg (472.96 KiB) Viewed 5678 times

AdamB
Site Admin

Re: Back Face Culling

Post by AdamB » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Try making the door+glass a Group and applying "No Backface Cull".

Fallback if time is short is to simply add some extra faces for the other side of the door. If you're using single sided rendering for the rest of it, you're getting most of the advantages.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

griffith

Post by griffith » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:23 am

Hi Adam,

After doing some tests I discovered that back face culling only seems to work when it applies on groups but when it comes to components it doesn't seem to work, I even tried grouping inside a component using what you said by grouping door+glass and the same case prevailed.

After exploding my component and making it a group only and applying back face culling then it worked. Not that it's going to affect a lot to my project since I have only 2 of that entity which is a glass door but worth check on it Adam, maybe a minor glitch?

My main goal here is to work all of my models single sided in order to improve max performance and speed workflow both on PC and Ipad. In the other hand all of my models are low poly and I'm applying BFC on glass only which is in this case is a planar surface with no volume.

Currently using LU v 4.1.h (18166)

Thank you and Have a great day.

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:00 pm

Yes, does look like its applied to Groups only.
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk