V4 "draft" mode vs final render

Explanations, Walk through, tips and techniques related to LightUp
kakabel

V4 "draft" mode vs final render

Post by kakabel » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:22 pm

I have just started playing around with v4, but when I set up my lights as needed in "draft" mode, (not sure what else to call it) and then click out of the icon as demonstrated in the welcome tutorial, and run the tour tool for my final render, the two images look completely different. I am guessing, the reason for this is that the draft mode is only lighting the portion of my image in which my lights are located, (as said in the tut) hence when the final render is done, any exterior light is affecting the entire image. The head scratcher with that though, is that I am working in an enclosed room, (in the model) with no exterior light influence, so why do the two outputs looks so drastically different? :shock: Thank you
PS - Also having a problem with the light not moving when I hit F5. The frame is visible and I can move that anywhere I want, but the actual light does not move. Maybe an Apple thing again, sigh.

AdamB
Site Admin

Re: V4 "draft" mode vs final render

Post by AdamB » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:33 am

Hi,

Check you're running LightUp v4.0c by downloading your installer again.

In LightUp v4.0a we had a little bug in 'test lighting' if you have AO blending not set to "Screen" (ie Add or Overlay)

re: Editing Lights. Currently we only edit PointLights that are not embedded in Groups/Components. This will be fixed in a later version.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

kakabel

Post by kakabel » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:43 am

Thank you,
It is V4 as I only downloaded and installed it two days ago. I will check the AO settings though and keep tabs on any updates in addition to monitoring the grid sans light move.

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:03 am

kakabel wrote:Thank you,
It is V4 as I only downloaded and installed it two days ago. I will check the AO settings though and keep tabs on any updates in addition to monitoring the grid sans light move.
Sure, but v4.0a and v4.0b had a bug around AO blending. This is fixed in v4.0c, so just download your installer again to be sure.
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

kakabel

Post by kakabel » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:23 am

I actually had downloaded 4.0c. That is the version I was working with. I have been a tad busy so missed the original upgrade to 4.0. However, I did make sure, or rather change the direct sources to screen as you suggested, and it was like the clouds opening and the angels sang. Today I am going to try with another model and see what happens with the issue of the grid moving but the light source remaining static. I am confident I will work it out.

Thank you ever so much Adam.