tudor town

Post your LightUp images here!
crs

Re: tudor town

Post by crs » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:16 pm

Adam, I've looked at the thread you directed me to....... how cool are they!...... I have started making some of my own lights, typical to lights used in a tv studio environment where most of my work goes into. (This tudor town is pleasant change) I'm having a few teething troubles again, sorry,
see my directional lights i've created (i saw the thread on particle/beams) - i wanted it to point at the wall -
the beam is a .png the beam is also part of a component which is in a group.

(if you get a chance to look at the .skp file - the flashing dosen't seem to work, i need it to flash 'full colour' to 'opacity'. (Will this be possible in future releases????)(I also realise that the flashing won't work when the light is directed at the wall as the beam will flash and the LU light will remain 'On'.....)

but the main thing is that the beam stays vertical after TTool?
Attachments
lightstest2_lightup.jpg
lightstest2_lightup.jpg (156.84 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
lightstest2skp.jpg
in sketchup it looks like this
lightstest2skp.jpg (486.89 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
lightstest2.skp
(780.12 KiB) Downloaded 266 times

crs

Post by crs » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:52 pm

So heres a few more tudor town pics - experimenting with physical lights, a fire and some alterations in the design, I've bent a few houses out of line to make it a bit quirky looking. the houses are more of a town now with the addition of some roof tops and simple buildings in the background.

the last post before was for a client this is just for fun. And light up is just that. I can't quite believe how good these have come out!!!!

Admittedly there are some bits in the picture i'd like to change, - the fire appears bleachd out when its not. the trees just grew a furry white edge to them. and the forground trees are all flat

I'm especially happy with my hog roast which was butchered from a model from 3d warehouse and converted into roast over some glowing coals in about 10mins - look at the crackling!!!

Thanks Adam for this great Plugin....
cheers
chris
Attachments
Tudor2_lightup12 2.jpg
Tudor2_lightup12 2.jpg (229.48 KiB) Viewed 5318 times
Tudor2_lightup8 2.jpg
Tudor2_lightup8 2.jpg (220.88 KiB) Viewed 5318 times
Tudor2_lightup7 2.jpg
Tudor2_lightup7 2.jpg (224.23 KiB) Viewed 5318 times

crs

Post by crs » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:59 pm

by the way, you wouldn't notice unless i told you but the background HDRI is actually a dutch harbour. Let us also forget the fact, in the days of henry tudor, that i'm sure he didn't light his towns streets with electric light bulbs

last ones
Attachments
Tudor2_lightup11 2.jpg
Tudor2_lightup11 2.jpg (140.66 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
Tudor2_lightup6 2.jpg
Tudor2_lightup6 2.jpg (165.47 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
Tudor2_lightup4 2.jpg
Tudor2_lightup4 2.jpg (177.19 KiB) Viewed 5316 times

sepo

Post by sepo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:30 am

Looking good. Could you tell us a bit about your set up. I am sure other people would like to learn. I think we need to start sharing setups to push LUp to next stage.

crs

Post by crs » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:41 pm

here you go Sepo -
I pretty much made it up as i went a long so any advice you can chip in won't be ignored and will be much appreciated

HDRI - was one of the ones from a site you posted - it was a dutch harbour
IBL Blending 1 (i don't understand yet this function although it has been explained to me)
sun off
direct sources

the final renders were set at 7cm. After a quick lesson from adam on resolution I realised the benefit of setting this right and how the workflow was to go. I set out in x1 making sure that light was approximately right - there are about 30 to 35 lights in there, no emitters, as well as the HDRI contribution so TTouring (a new word .....) at X1 resolution took about 3minutes, totally workable time limit for me, with no frustration or fear of boredom kicking in. then, when i was happy i turned up the resolution, taking a note from your picture, sepo (the one with the chair and the bright light coming in) you'd set yours at 5cm something like that so i went 2cm just for kicks, this was too much!!! I found that the light that was in the fire shone through the fire texture to well! clearly showing distinct, strippy lines over the snow when a blurry effect was needed. so i stuck it at 7cm. this was ok. 2cm - 7cm took about 35mins. or a couple of cups of tea. I expected to go TTouring at this resolution a couple of times tweaking.

I think its important when you position the light to where your textures are if your shinning through them - there is a bit of a gap in the light going towards the house.

while tweaking i noticed that the roofs weren't receiving any light from the HDRI - i positioned some powerful lights high in the sky that only their outter reaches of the light would hit the trees and the roof tops and not hit the ground - this wasn't that successful but a good idea.....

In this topic -
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=279&p=1124#p1116
I borrowed the lights idea. All the lights were set to a yellow to give a homely glow - needed more yellow in the window lights

When I was TTouring i went round and tweaked some of the textures the roast, the snow, the windows. the fire is animated and looks the dogs... the texture on the middle house is bumped quite a bit and looks very real. cgtextures.com

Although the tiffs i captured are fine, when they were converted into jpegs, (i did a batch covert using Automator (MAC)) the trees and the fire had changed, see the last posts, - I will have to do it by PShop one by one in future, as the compression PS used didn't change much visually, other that the file size which was the idea - this would be a great addition to output in various file formats. as well as the animation.

Setting a few scenes with various camera angles are a quick way to get about. Always have a few scenes set with different 'fields of view' you can tour with different camera looks then and flying about, i found new views with the HDRI just by flying around.

I can't speak highly enough how enjoyable this was to make and tweaking was fun and productive - using the circular lines that appear when you position the query tool over helped alot just knowing roughly where your light is going.

Anyway thats a lot of waffle from me - does it help?

chris
Attachments
Tudor2_lightup6.jpg
Tudor2_lightup6.jpg (425.59 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
Tudor2 textstuff.jpg
Tudor2 textstuff.jpg (898.88 KiB) Viewed 5311 times

crs

Post by crs » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:46 pm

i should have attached this pic rather that the previous one. its got smoke..... this will be the last one i promise
Attachments
Tudor2_lightup6.jpg
Tudor2_lightup6.jpg (430.6 KiB) Viewed 5311 times

sepo

Post by sepo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:45 pm

Brilliant info... IBL is the best I found combined with sun... The higher the number the smother transitions are.

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Its tremendous seeing how the lighting develops in this series of stills. Great stuff.

One thing that still needs some improvement in LightUp is the handling of transparency ordering. It will improve over time however, its worth understanding that LU treats geometry with variables transparency different from pure "masked" transparency (aka 1-bit alpha). The latter is textures with alpha either 0 (0.0) or 255 (1.0), these can be treated more simply and don't cause a transparency 'halo' around the object.

So one of the trees in the background of these shots has a grey halo around the foliage. This is because LU has determined it to have fully variable transparency rather than simpler "masked" transparency that won't have that grey halo around it.

The determination as to what kind of texture you have is performed by simply looking at the alpha channel of the texture. If it only has fully opaque and fully transparent texels it can be treated as a masked texture. So check that foliage texture to ensure it satisfies this criterion - Ive certainly come across foliage textures that have a few stray random alpha texels which cause problems.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk