tudor town

Post your LightUp images here!
crs

tudor town

Post by crs » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Hello,
heres my very first rendering with LU. I really need advice on how to get a dusk feel to the scene. I'll post a few more as go along, i have till the morning when the client needs it, glup....... it took tourtool about 20mins until i was able to fly around, it a very ambitious start, something i may regret!!!
cheers
chris
Attachments
TUDOR1render4.jpg
TUDOR1render4.jpg (700.43 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
TUDOR1render1.jpg
TUDOR1render1.jpg (882.81 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

sepo

Re: tudor town

Post by sepo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:51 pm

Not bad for the first one. I suggest you save views from more like normal camera height. Also lose that SU man as it does not help....Add detail on pavement like cobbles or so. Than you would need to post process to bring more warmth into image. The other way is to find HDR map of sunset and use IBL with it.

crs

Post by crs » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:54 pm

Sepo
I'll be posting a few more views soon from all around these views were just testers to check the light, i didn't like it so much so i've altered for a more lights on/ street lights as you can see more of the details.

could do cobbles but its meant to be hyde park london on the grass at christmas - no time to put snow on roofs though

hopfully I'm about to finish tour tool so will post some soon.........

crs

Post by crs » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:46 pm

On this render in the back ground you can see my trees - they are extactly the same although when they come out in LU some have become black or dark. Any reason ? they are 'face front' 2d trees and similar to the people so i wonder what the reason is?

(no coments on the lighing on this one - i forgot to turn the sun off so am having to do it again!! i have replaced the suspect trees with the ones that rendered well. so theres something)

c
Attachments
TUDOR1render2_1.jpg
TUDOR1render2_1.jpg (360.53 KiB) Viewed 6400 times

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:54 am

crs wrote:On this render in the back ground you can see my trees - they are extactly the same although when they come out in LU some have become black or dark. Any reason ? they are 'face front' 2d trees and similar to the people so i wonder what the reason is?
Face front components are also lit by LightUp. However, given they always face front, which orientation should be used for lighting? LU chooses your current viewpoint, so if you start lighting with the trees facing away from their light source, they will come out dark.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

crs

Post by crs » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:15 am

thanks adam I'll keep that in mind.

does the sun settings in SU, other than the time and date, change what LU calculates for the final lighting, like the dark and the light scales? i found that turning 'Casting shadows off' useful on this exercise

heres some of the last few 'final' renderings (i would tweeck further but it takes too long - each tourtool hit took 35mins).
still not totally happy - i think the light it too even through out the scene in the end. The HDRI is very dark and gives me little light but a good reflection, compensating for the light i used quite a few lights out in the street which where set a bit high and the lights in the houses didn't stand out as much as i wanted. I wanted the doorways and windows would glow and the whole scene to look like a chocolate box.

Anyway - going to explore LU some more - wanted the window frames to cast shadows onto the floor, and change the hdri to somthing that is abit more helpful to my needs.
Attachments
TUDOR1render4_12.jpg
TUDOR1render4_12.jpg (523.86 KiB) Viewed 6383 times
TUDOR1render4_8.jpg
TUDOR1render4_8.jpg (752 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
TUDOR1render4_2.jpg
TUDOR1render4_2.jpg (676.17 KiB) Viewed 6384 times

sepo

Post by sepo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Hey...this looks better already,,, Camera in the last image is much better . I like the snow ...very wintery. I did some quick postprcess to bring a bit more light in the street. Also did colder (brrrr) and slightly warmer postprocess. I hope you don't mind.
Attachments
TUDOR1render4_2 copy5.jpg
TUDOR1render4_2 copy5.jpg (350.91 KiB) Viewed 6376 times
TUDOR1render4_2 copy1.jpg
TUDOR1render4_2 copy1.jpg (335.96 KiB) Viewed 6379 times
TUDOR1render4_2 4copy.jpg
TUDOR1render4_2 4copy.jpg (364.14 KiB) Viewed 6373 times

wifflewaffle

Post by wifflewaffle » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:15 am

TUDOR1render4_2.jpg:
The buildings in the background are stunningly well lit and detailed. It is my goal to model that well eventually.
Peeking in from the outside of the software dev world.

crs

Post by crs » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:56 am

Thanks wifflewaffle, thanks very nice of you to say.
Sepo looks good, i like what you've done. Its needed a post process i think too. Time got the better of me and i had to hand something in..... he was well chuffed though which makes me happy.

cheers for the feedback

I want more HDRI's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen a couple of free sites posted here and i raided one of them for this tudor village ..... need more though.

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Great work there.

You could try using the "Additive" mode of LightUp. You'd need to add some geometry in front of the windows and set it to Additive using the Query tool. Here's a thread describing its use: http://www.light-up.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 1124#p1116

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk