external shaders

Features you'd like to see in future versions, gripes, ideas..
spirekin

external shaders

Post by spirekin » Sat May 24, 2008 10:31 am

Hello Adam and other lightUpers!
i wrote at scf about supporting extrnal shaders
will be? :shock: :?:

i'm waiting LightUp 1.0c :D 8-)

AdamB
Site Admin

Re: external shaders

Post by AdamB » Sat May 24, 2008 7:24 pm

Yes, its certainly possible.
What kind of effects do you feel are missing that would be done with custom shaders? I appreciate you might answer "anything!", but do you have a specific rendering effect whose non-existence in your work, causes problems?

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

Juju

Post by Juju » Sun May 25, 2008 1:48 pm

I don't know if shaders can do this (I certainly hope so) but I'd like to create lighting effects that seems volumetric in nature. In other words the kind of effect one gets when looking at a lighted area where dust / smoke particles are present. It just seems to give it that extra touch.
Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate...

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Sun May 25, 2008 5:27 pm

I don't know if shaders can do this (I certainly hope so) but I'd like to create lighting effects that seems volumetric in nature. In other words the kind of effect one gets when looking at a lighted area where dust / smoke particles are present. It just seems to give it that extra touch.
Yes, pretty simple to do and certainly on the plan for the future. I'm thinking I'll simply allow marking of area lights to cast a lighting volume. However, there are a number of techniques that could be used instead. But definitely a useful addition to LightUp.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

Juju

Post by Juju » Mon May 26, 2008 8:26 am

AdamB wrote: Yes, pretty simple to do and certainly on the plan for the future. I'm thinking I'll simply allow marking of area lights to cast a lighting volume. However, there are a number of techniques that could be used instead. But definitely a useful addition to LightUp.
:shock: The waiting (for your product to get to market) just got worse for me! :P
Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate...