Animation-2

Features you'd like to see in future versions, gripes, ideas..
Tim Danaher

Animation-2

Post by Tim Danaher » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:09 pm

What I'd really like to see is output of LU-rendered scene to a .mov file, but based on SketchUp scenes. I know that you can add them after LU has done its magic... but they don't render out on Export... -- you get empty frames, since SU isn't drawing anything. The ability to have one file's animation rendered in both SU & LU -- frame-for-frame identical -- would be the dog's bollocks...

The TourTool animation doesn't really cut it for me because of the complexity of some of my models -- real-time just isn't achievable.
Cheers,

Tim

Tim Danaher

Re: Animation-2

Post by Tim Danaher » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:07 pm

Hah! I am such a nob...I've just ralised how to kludge this...

Set up your scenes after LU has done its job..now, because the SU shadows are switched off by LU, the Slideshow feature works pretty smoothly, so, still in LU mode, simply set the SU window fairly small (speeds things up) and record the Slideshow using screen capture software (I used Snapz Pro X)...

Here is the result:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=krFtHJ5KRZk
Cheers,

Tim

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:10 pm

Thats interesting.

I've got an internal build of LightUp with a realtime renderer thats 5-10x faster than the current one. I shelved the work because I've had no feedback complaining of tourtool being too slow. I can totally imagine as you get larger models the existing LightUp tourtool renderer will start to chug - though be aware its highly dependent on your GPU. Unfortunately, Macs have traditionally had GPUs that are pants - its changing, but slowly. So if this is a real issue for users I can perhaps juggle work to accommodate a faster backend.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

marchab

Post by marchab » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:58 pm

Well ... Some of my mid-size set models take up to 15 mb. Big ones up to 50.
I made a test with a mid-size one, the interior of a bar, with many lights. Edges =113487, Faces =50446
Tour tool can take up to 12 minutes to render it on my (not the fastest machine I know) MacBook Pro 2.16, C2D, 2g ram.
Speed is always a huge asset! imho.
Attachments
Bar-4.png
to see a walkthru, go to my website http://www.formation-sketchup-quebec.com/
Bar-4.png (264.19 KiB) Viewed 5337 times
Mario C, SketchUp & LightUp trainer, Mac & pc