Hyperlinks in Player

Features you'd like to see in future versions, gripes, ideas..
eyal

Hyperlinks in Player

Post by eyal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:08 am

Hi Adam

now that i found out that Linkfile.rb is your doing , i have to ask -
will we ever be able to have links in the Player?

i wish i could see the cursor change shape when hovering over a linked element in the file,
and klicking it will make the link open a new browser window or a file.
it will enable all of us to build simple yet impressive and flowing virtual-reality environments.

and also to break certain big models into several small files, making each area of the model lighter and faster.
( houses can be broken into rooms, etc.)

BTW - will the logo (your's or the custom one) be clickable in the future?
seems like the reasonable way to refer to your site or to our sites.

Pixero

Re: Hyperlinks in Player

Post by Pixero » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:21 am

Why not click to change color/material or click to start animation (like a door opening) or ... or... or....

eyal

Post by eyal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:42 am

Pixero wrote:Why not click to change color/material or click to start animation (like a door opening) or ... or... or....
what i ask is within reasonable limits, as far as i know, until Adam say otherwise.
also it has uses that will make the player an immense tool , for use in many situations.
changing colours/materials is kind of "fun", and not too productive, and animation is probably too much for the player.

seriously - if clicking a hyperlink is possible - and when the player will be embeded in Html -
we can do ANYTHING we ever wanted in terms of showing our stuff to clients.
anything.

and then i will stop asking things from Adam, and promise to be quiet.
OK?

Pixero

Post by Pixero » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:40 am

I think changing color would be very productive since many times clents ask: Yes, but how would it look if the wall/floor/door was...(fill in color of choise).
Not having this will require a new player for each version of colors.

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:47 am

I think being able to click on links, cycle through different color schemes, are both excellent suggestions. Keep the coming and don't stay quiet!

The problem is a bandwidth problem. There is only 1 of me, and lots of suggestions. :-)

I want to get out a few bug fixes for v2.0b before getting back to v2.1 which should bring the Timeline Editor etc. I've also got to fix any probs that come up with the new Mac Safari Web Browser plugin (have you tried it?) as well as getting a first version of the IExplorer web browser plugin out there. Only then can I get back to the GPU based lighting. Phew.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

eyal

Post by eyal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:23 am

AdamB wrote:I think being able to click on links, cycle through different color schemes, are both excellent suggestions. Keep the coming and don't stay quiet!

The problem is a bandwidth problem. There is only 1 of me, and lots of suggestions. :-)

I want to get out a few bug fixes for v2.0b before getting back to v2.1 which should bring the Timeline Editor etc. I've also got to fix any probs that come up with the new Mac Safari Web Browser plugin (have you tried it?) as well as getting a first version of the IExplorer web browser plugin out there. Only then can I get back to the GPU based lighting. Phew.

Adam
Adam - i have no problem with your speed of work, or your priorities.
as i've stated before - LU gives me the BEST customer experience i've had in a long time.
i do need to know if Hyperlinks are at all possible, since if not - i have to start learning Unity3D, so my next project
will be best presented. your player saves me lots of time, but without some interactive options (links, command-line parameters)
it is limiting me to basic presentations, which is a shame, because the player already does 90% of what i need.
i know that IE embedding will get me to 95% of my needs, and is more important to you and everyone else.

changing colours and materials can be fun. can this be done without preparing a file per colour scheme?
if not - then it will benefit from hyperlinks anyhow... :-)

i will keep them coming as long as you respond to them.
a negative answer is better than no answer, in any case - as i make decisions accordingly.
thanks!

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Thoughts on where the URL should be stored? Externally in a text file or embedded (and non-editable) in the luca file.
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

eyal

Post by eyal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:41 pm

AdamB wrote:Thoughts on where the URL should be stored? Externally in a text file or embedded (and non-editable) in the luca file.
thanks for asking :o

IMHO it might be best to use your Linkfile.rb as the mechanisem for embedding the links in the SU file,
and have them embedded like that in the LUCA file.

if you also consider making the Logo clickable - it could be a link in a text file, or even in the first (or last) line of the LUPHELP.TXT file,
and when this file is ommited - the logo's link will be the LU site.

even if (for now) you only make the Logo clickable - it will instantly enable us to use the Logo area to put a " click here for XXX" sign,
and so at least to be able to move primitively from one scene to the other... but ofcourse multiple links are a better option.

in any case - the cursor should turn from Arrow to Pointing Hand when hovering over a link, so it's trivial for any end user at any level of knowledge.

(i hope you understand that enabling links in luca files will turn your player to a "quest" type gaming machine... :P
i just can't wait to see what people will come up with... got a few ideas of my own. crazy labyrinths with fog and all...)

Pixero

Post by Pixero » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:17 pm

I firmly believe that if this is added you should also let the user be able to customize pointer icons if he wants too.

eyal

Post by eyal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Pixero wrote:I firmly believe that if this is added you should also let the user be able to customize pointer icons if he wants too.
what do you mean by Pointer icons?
and who is the user? is it us, the people who create the SU file, add LU stuff and compile into a LUCA file?
or the people who get the LUCA file to walk through it?
so far the approach was to make the luca file a final and unchangable end-product, and i think this is good.
will probably save us all trouble in the future.