Inter-operability

Features you'd like to see in future versions, gripes, ideas..
Juju

Inter-operability

Post by Juju » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:07 pm

I would be willing to pay an additional amount to be able to have the option of inter-operability (back and forth) between LightUp and Podium as far as lighting setup (intensity, etc.) goes. It would be absolutely marvellous to be able to do the SU model, the lighting with LU (getting a good idea of what lighting will look like, tweaking as need be) and being able to go to Podium, tweak the materials / lighting (as and if needed) and getting a render from that. If amendments are to be made (most of the time) one could go back and do them, have LU "know" what settings was used /changed in Podium (and use them) and update scenes accordingly.

Some clients don't require photo-realistic images, which LU is good for, but I'd hate to redo the lighting later in Podium (trying to match lighting levels will be nightmare) when I'd like to do a photo-realistic (or almost) rendering.

Workflow wise it makes sense in my mind. I don't know to how many people it would be useful, but I would imagine almost as many people as there are using Podium.
Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate...

AdamB
Site Admin

Re: Inter-operability

Post by AdamB » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Good idea.

The difficulty with any conversion or translation is how to do it "losslessly". LightUp allows setting spread angle (aka cone angle) for area faces. Podium may not support that feature. etc etc.

But broad brush translation of lighting setup is probably do-able with some work.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

Juju

Post by Juju » Thu May 01, 2008 9:37 am

The Podium development team seem to be very hush-hush about when version 2 will be made available and exactly what will / has changed (apparently they're using a totally different render engine that Podium 2 is built on). Rumour has it that the new version will rock the user's world. I hope you and TBD can sort out some or other way of implementing this Adam, it would seriously be worth it in my view.

If this kind of inter-operability could be successfully achieved, I'd be the first guy in the queue to buy the add-on to the LightUp / Podium plugins for SketchUp. I suppose another question is how the next SketchUp release would have changed. I get the idea it's almost like a dog chasing its tail if there is no information forthcoming from different sources, especially to you, the developers of (totally awesome) SU plugins.

Your efforts in this regard is really appreciated Adam (and the rest of your team).

Danapala

Post by Danapala » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Is it possible to work with Light up and with SU Podium at the same time?

Danapala

Post by Danapala » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:46 pm

or with another program...???

Juju

Post by Juju » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:58 pm

Looks like from v1.3 onwards this will be an option (*holding my breath*) to some extent. If LU and Podium can 'talk' to each other I'm def. buying LU that very same day.