Better camera control

Features you'd like to see in future versions, gripes, ideas..
Pixero

Better camera control

Post by Pixero » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:48 pm

I 'm testing LightUp again and am coming closer to a buy decision. A lot has happened since my last try. I'm specially thrilled about the Unity workflow.

I'd like to have better control of the camera when flying around. A way of going straight up and down and a way of increasing/decreasing speed.
(Like if your flying around a buildings exterior in a greater speed and then when you go inside that speed will be to fast.)
Also a user setting for the amount of inertia. (I don't want to slide like I'm Bambi on ice.)

AdamB
Site Admin

Re: Better camera control

Post by AdamB » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Glad you like the improvements!

There are a number of camera controls already you may have missed:

Alt + LMButton rotates around the fixed point your mouse is over.
Shift + LMButton pans camera up/down/left/right (Is this what you mean by straight up & down?)

The speed of the camera motion is set in Preferences under Speed. I guess its a moot point as to where LightUp should draw the line on what functionality it provides - certainly the focus has thus far been on lighting not on rigging Scenes for a "virtual shoot" but clearly that balance will change.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

Pixero

Post by Pixero » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Ok, Shift+LM will do it.

I still would like to have a user controllable value for the amount of inertia to avoid to much sliding in close spaces.
Some kind of speed control would be great as well.

I have some more questions but I'll post them in the Misc forum.

Pixero

Post by Pixero » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:14 am

When in tour mode and flying around if I press shift to go up or down there is a small jump in the movement.
Could it be that panning doesnt have inertia?
Anyway I'd like to see a fix for that so I could navigate in all directions with the same smoothness.

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Panning also has inertia applied, so I suspect what you're seeing is this:

If you have Apply Gravity checked, LightUp will attempt to maintain whatever eye-height you've set using Panning (you'll see it shown in the Value Box in the corner) wrt any "floor" geometry below your camera. It could be you're seeing the camera jump to the height you've set.

On a related note, LightUp actually temporarily disables Gravity if it cannot detect any geometry below your current location to stop you falling to negative infinity - which is a bad place. As soon as you arrive over some geometry, LightUp will start re-applying gravity.

Adam

Pixero

Post by Pixero » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:54 pm

No, I dont have gravity on but still theres a small "jump" when pressing shift+LMB. Is there some "blending" of the wasd movement and the pan motion or are they just "one or the other"?

I have also found that I somehow often end up with the mouse pointer in one of the screen edges after a while of flying around.
When I try to center it the view spins around. Is there a way of re centering the mouse without that happening?
I tried releasing the LMB but the view still spins when moving the mouse.

Pixero

Post by Pixero » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:07 am

After some testing I found that if the camera has a for example forward movement and you press shift to pan up, the forward movement is imediatly stopped and the up panning starts.
There by creating a very hard transition in the movement.
I'd like it to blend between the two movements with a user controllable amount of inertia.

Also if I have the camera with gravity on and I walk up some stairs there are very hard steps up.
Could you make it to "smoothen" sudden movements so it would be possible to glide up the stairs?

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Fixed in v1.8

Thanks for sticking with it. Beginning to think you were imagining things!