Trying to follow your tutorial...

Features you'd like to see in future versions, gripes, ideas..
schloeder

Trying to follow your tutorial...

Post by schloeder » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:29 am

Hi Adam-- I saw a preview of your LightUp at SketchUp Basecamp last month, and thought I'd try it. I am a pretty advanced SU user.

I am on Windows XP, and was trying to follow your tutorial

I set the variables per your demo:

When I tried the Tour, the ground did not show at all.

I tried some down lighting and uplighting

again, the ground did not show.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get the ground to show?

Also, in the above, the 4 downlights on polls were given different Power and Density values, yet it seems the power value is the only thing that changes the appearance. What is the difference between these variables?

Thx,

Steve

AdamB
Site Admin

Re: Trying to follow your tutorial...

Post by AdamB » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:14 am

Hi!
schloeder wrote:I am on Windows XP, and was trying to follow your tutorial
OK, so your ground plane has its front face pointing downward (fly under the house and look up). LightUp only lights and draws front faces. I think I can see that the poles are "inside out" too. You should Reverse face them too.
schloeder wrote:Also, in the above, the 4 downlights on polls were given different Power and Density values, yet it seems the power value is the only thing that changes the appearance. What is the difference between these variables?
These variables are per face (aka emitter). Power is a multiplier to the calculated strength of the light source which is determined by:

material.color * face.area * face.power

The Density is a quality parameter that is also a multiplier to the sampling of the area light source. Pretty much the only times you'll need to alter it are:

1. Lighting 'burn' marks from geometry very close to an area light source. Increasing density can reduce this.
2. A very large emitter (eg a Sky plane) where you might want to decrease density (eg to 0.1) just to help performance.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

schloeder

Post by schloeder » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:07 pm

Thank you! I see the problem with the face orientation, and corrected it.

I'll play around with it some more and see what else is there. BTW, it might be helpful if you had a short help dictionary/ online FAQ explaining what things like skybox, direct source vs ambient occlusion, exterior vs interior, hidden lights, etc are -- as well as when to use them to get certain effects, how to use them (e.g., I don't understand what gets filled in for the skybox input), and what some recommended values are for people to get started. Maybe you have and I just missed it?

Did you set the license timer for just a couple of hours? It keeps ending on me and I have to reregister it and reopen SU to get it working again. :cry:

I do want to compliment you that you have a very simple interface -- the three buttons to do everything makes this a very user friendly application.

Best,

Steve

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:47 am

schloeder wrote:I'll play around with it some more and see what else is there. BTW, it might be helpful if you had a short help dictionary/ online FAQ explaining what things like skybox, direct source vs ambient occlusion, exterior vs interior, hidden lights, etc are -- as well as when to use them to get certain effects, how to use them (e.g., I don't understand what gets filled in for the skybox input), and what some recommended values are for people to get started. Maybe you have and I just missed it?
Good suggestion. I'll add it to the list of things to do. Thanks.
schloeder wrote:Did you set the license timer for just a couple of hours? It keeps ending on me and I have to reregister it and reopen SU to get it working again.
The demo works for 30 minutes of LightUp Tourtool time (ie just while using Tourtool). There is an indication of how much time has elapsed by a thin red line at the bottom of the display. When it reaches the right hand side, you're time on the free demo is up. Just restart Sketchup and it will reset. You don't need to reregister with the website.
schloeder wrote:I do want to compliment you that you have a very simple interface -- the three buttons to do everything makes this a very user friendly application.
Thank you. However, the compliments should be to the many who have been giving really useful feedback on how to improve LightUp.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk