option to export textures & lightmaps at high resolution

Features you'd like to see in future versions, gripes, ideas..
extropy

option to export textures & lightmaps at high resolution

Post by extropy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi,

following this old thread: http://www.light-up.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... ap+normals

I would like to request that Lightup be given the facility to exports hi-res unwrapped texture maps at the same time as the lightmap.

The Lightmaps exported are quite low-res - works ok for lighting, but the textures need to be much higher resolution to be useable in a gaming or VR engine.

In summary, can we please have the ability to set the resolution for lightmap exports, in powers of two up to at least 4096 x 4096?

Alternatively, can we have the option to export only part of the model as a lightmap at a time - while its lighting remains consistent as if the other parts of the model were also visible? - this would enable users to increase the lightmap/texture resolution across the whole model.

Yours in hope ;-)

neergreen

Re: option to export textures & lightmaps at high resolution

Post by neergreen » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:11 am

I've been waiting for this for a few years.
I would like it to be added this option.
;)

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Have you used the `Dynamic Resolution' mode? Tools->LightUp->Settings->Mapping
It builds lightmaps to the resolution of your albedo textures, so you can export a large textures with lighting.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

prader@nvizeon.com

Post by prader@nvizeon.com » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:04 am

Adam can you do explain this a bit more.

Say I have a large floor area 30'x30' and on that floor geometry I paint a granite texture from an image file and that image texture file is seamless and tileable and it's 512x512 pixels.

It seems to me that the light maps that LU generates an atlas image that has no relevance to the size of the original image texture and is instead a generic size like 1024 x 2048 and 2048 x 2048 being the maximum size that is generated. there are a few smaller lightmaps at 512 x 512 and some are even 128x128. This is with Dynamic resolution selected as the setting.

So what is the correlation between lightmap size, Image Texture size and Geometry and groups etc. If a model has several thousand faces, and those faces are spread out into lets say 10 groups and there is some loose geometry as well not inside any groups. How do you determine how many lightmaps to make and what size the lightmaps will be?
Phil Rader, RA
CEO
prader@nvizeon.com

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Mon May 02, 2016 4:04 pm

If you have a texture of 512 wide and you tile it 4 times across a face, LightUp will generate a lightmap of 512 x 4 wide.

If you have a texture of 512 wide and you tile it 100 times across a face, LightUp will generate a lightmap of 512 x 100 wide, find it cannot do this (because no graphics card supports this) and fall back to the largest it can do.

So Dynamic Resolution requires some planning by breaking up your model into Groups (a top-level Group gets its own lightmap), and also attention to how much resolution you have in your textures (the Goldilocks plugin can help here).

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk