Export as PNG

Features you'd like to see in future versions, gripes, ideas..
kakabel

Export as PNG

Post by kakabel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Why would I or anyone want this you ask? I model components to be exported and used in composites in Photoshop. I can export png files from SU which is very useful, and would like to be able to do the same with LightUp. I can extract them if needs be, but that is just another long step that could be eliminated with a png file export.

See example - thank you. :D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 5.33.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 5.33.28 PM.png (494.47 KiB) Viewed 7500 times
Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 5.28.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 5.28.33 PM.png (519.43 KiB) Viewed 7500 times

AdamB
Site Admin

Re: Export as PNG

Post by AdamB » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:37 am

If you're looking to composite LightUp output, then you may want to Capture still images with an Alpha mask. You can do this by:

- check "With Alpha" under Still.. in the Capture dialog
- Capture your still which will be saved as normal but with an additional image in the same folder with the suffix "_alpha" in (lossless) TIFF format. This allows easy combining with other images.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

kakabel

Post by kakabel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks Adam,will give it a try. We have been without any phone, TV or internet service for four days after lightening struck next door. Having witnessed it from inside, I expected to find two pieces of bacon in lieu of cats stretched along the coping of the pool, but I guess they only used one life each and survived. Hence I only just saw your reply (service back in time thank goodness for the royal birth coverage),

Thanks again,
All the best

kakabel

Post by kakabel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:20 pm

AdamB wrote:If you're looking to composite LightUp output, then you may want to Capture still images with an Alpha mask. You can do this by:

- check "With Alpha" under Still.. in the Capture dialog
- Capture your still which will be saved as normal but with an additional image in the same folder with the suffix "_alpha" in (lossless) TIFF format. This allows easy combining with other images.

Adam
I tried your suggestion on a little test model and it did indeed create an additional tiff file/image, but on import into Photoshop there was no transparency involved, just a solid black background? Makes extracting easier, but I was hoping for a transparent background. I did look, but there was no alpha channel in the channel's palette either.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-07-22 at 3.16.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-22 at 3.16.04 PM.png (40.61 KiB) Viewed 7470 times

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Yes, the alpha image that is generated is a grayscale image representing alpha.
(The JPEG image format does not support alpha, so it has to be a separate image)

However. If you really want a single image with alpha, I suggest you uncheck menu Tools->LightUp->Compress Output. This will make LightUp save output (Stills and Movies) in uncompressed (lossless) formats. Specifically, Still images will be a RGBA TIFF image.

NB Turning off compression means Movie export files are gigantic

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

kakabel

Post by kakabel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Oh I understood that :) The separate image titled alpha lu_alpha.tiff as the image appears on the icon (Mac) does appear to have transparency, it is when that image is opened in Photoshop that the black background appears. Just to experiment I tried to insert it onto a Keynote slide and the transparency was there, so the problem seems to be with the PS opening of the file.

What puzzles me is that I read through a post of someone else that had the same problem and they were told to look in the channels palette for the alpha channel. No surprise there - I had already done that though and there was no alpha channel, just the run of the mill RBG composite and the red green and blue. As said, the black is easy enough to extract so I will have to go that route.