Can I export a video with Keyframe animation and Lightup ?

Features you'd like to see in future versions, gripes, ideas..
marcbuils

Can I export a video with Keyframe animation and Lightup ?

Post by marcbuils » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 am

Hello,

I want export a video with Keyframe animation 1.8.3 and Lightup 2.7. Actually I have test it but I export a video without animation.
Keyframe 1.8 and Lightup 2.7 are compatible ?
I think i have read that Lightup 2.2 add this feature ?

Thanks for your responses !

Marc

(and sorry for my bad english...)

thomasdelord

Re: Can I export a video with Keyframe animation and Lightup

Post by thomasdelord » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:25 am

Hello,

I'm VERY VERY interested in a response too, I bought both of these plugins to use it together, and it doesn't work properly…
I tried before buying it and in demo versions I hade nice movements. Now I'm obligated to "film the screen" cause when I export trough Lightup it does move, even if it's moving during the render…… HELP ?

Thanks for any advice or tutorial on this subject,

Regards

Thomas

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:10 pm

LightUp has worked with Keyframe for some time. One thing to watch for is that LightUp can optimize your model if it detects 'unused' hierarchy. You can force LightUp to not collapse specific parts using the right mouse button menu. Or in the extreme, uncheck the menu Tools->LightUp->Remove unused hierarchy.

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

3DForFilm

Post by 3DForFilm » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:43 pm

I'm using LightUp version 3.3 and Keyframe Animation version 1.8 and I can't get a light up render with an animation at all.
Even with the "unused hierarchy" on or off I still have no animation.
Is there something else I'm missing or has the support been dropped?

Here's the light up export vs. the animated export

[The extension mp4 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension mp4 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

For those who don't know how to use dynamic components or are unable to use them in the free version of Skecthup. This would have been the best fix for them (me as well).
I'm very interested in buying the key frame animation plugin, but I won't get it unless if I know if Lightup is truly compatible with it.
Let's hope for the best.

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:30 pm

LightUp does support Keyframe Animation - but given these plugins do not publish interfaces or specs, it is possible there are omissions.

If create a Component and animate it, it certains works - we can look into why the "face-me" character is not working.

Lastly, Because the objects move, you may wish to use "realtime" sun so the shadows are updated as the objects move. If you're not using Realtime Sun, then be sure to uncheck "Cast Shadows" on your dynamically positioned objects so they do not leave a ghost shadow when the move away from where they were lit.

Adam

3DForFilm

Post by 3DForFilm » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:47 am

Thank you for replying Adam. I would love to make this work and nail the coffin on this topic.

If anyone is willing I have the tween Skecthup file of the test included here.
Testing Keyframe.tweens.skp
Keyframe Tween file for Skecthup (Key frame trial should not be required to view the scene animation object tween)
(73.57 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
(NOTE: you might have to switch to a different scene if the "face me" character does not show up at first; strange glitch is all.)
Here is a slightly different second attempt version in case the first one proves to have a glitch or something for you.
Keyframe animation test 2.tweens.skp
2nd Test Hardly Different
(187.58 KiB) Downloaded 452 times

The Keyframe plugin creates scenes in sketchup and moves the object every scene. Therefor, you do not need a Keyframe Animation trial to test if lightup works with it; I believe we would be exporting any scene animation through LightUp anyways. Try clicking on some of the scene tabs and notice how the models moves/animates.

The problem is from what I tested is that after rendering in lightUp I go to switch scenes manually or even exporting a scene animation but the component no longer moves/animates.
But whenever I'm not using lightup the component moves accordingly with the scene tabs.

Also I recall a similar topic like this was went over with another plugin known as SU Animate and I take Adam's word from 2008 that it's not compatible.
http://www.light-up.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144

But I tested it anyways and I got the same results as the Keyframe Animation Plugin but I'll include the SU Animate Sketchup file for others to test for themselves that it's not compatible with Lightup (You shouldn't need the trial to view the scene animation also I highly recommend Keyframe over SU Animate just because of ease of use and cheaper price (($39.00 vs $49.00)).)
SU Animation test.skp
SU Animation Test
(156.82 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
I hope we can fix this, please if there's anymore information anyone needs I won't hesitate to provide it.
I just can't imagine why it's not animating while LightUp is being used.

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:23 am

I think there is a misunderstanding here.

LightUp lights your model and starts TourTool. If you change the transformation of a Group/Component, LightUp should pick that up - so using Keyframe Animation to animate the position will work.

If you use these tools to generate hundreds of Scenes with a different instance of the Component in each scene, then clearly LightUp will not know about those. Your test scene has 81 instances of Sophie.

Adam

3DForFilm

Post by 3DForFilm » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:42 pm

Better news but not a happy conclusion (yet maybe).

I was finally able to animate something in Lightup with Keyframe; it was all Sophie's fault my tests never worked.
for some strange reason when I make just a simple cube, group it, and animate it's position like Sophie and run lightUp in sketchup IT DOES ANIMATE real time with lightup. But Sophie does not; something must be preventing her from being animated but never mind her, what matters is that the models you make can be animated with Keyframe in lightup.

However,

this is where the good news ends.
Just like Thomas
Now I'm obligated to "film the screen" cause when I export trough Lightup it does[n't] move, even if it's moving during the render…… HELP ?
Now I'm in the same position, I can't export the animation through lightup and have it still animate. It's a lose, lose situation; let me explain:

When Keyframe creates the dozens of scenes it creates components instances for every scene and like Adam pointed out it won't work.
hundreds of Scenes with a different instance of the Component in each scene, then clearly LightUp will not know about those.
So you might think you should do the other option KeyFrame provides: don't use the scenes KeyFrame makes and use the 2 scene animation where the object actually moves from the position set in one scene to the new position in the second scene (instead of using hundreds of copies of the model).

But this hasn't worked either, but I don't know why. Perhaps All lightup sees is no movement during this method.
If this is a "read the fine print" compatibility where we can only animate in lightup but not actually export the animation footage I would be...
I just hope that's not the case because I'm very excited to see the final outcome without recording my screen.

AdamB
Site Admin

Post by AdamB » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:17 pm

OK, fixed for LightUp v3.3c. During TourTool, if you animate a Component using Keyframe Animation, it will also appear animated in the saved movie.

[The problem was that during Movie recording, LightUp was not recording the elements being moved]

Adam

3DForFilm

Post by 3DForFilm » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Thank you so much Adam. I believe I'm interested in making a tutorial for this a bit after it's all ready. Can you clarify what you mean by:
fixed for LightUp v3.3c
Are you saying it's already fixed so I can reinstall LightUp now or that it will be fixed for the next patch/version of LightUp? I'm just curious when it would be ready as long as you're not too busy.

Anyways, it seems you know what the problem is and I'm very thankful for your responses.
Looking forward to the end result.